Friday, May 15, 2009

Customer Services

United States definitely has the best customer services in the world. Only in United States, they offer you free breads for meals, free refills for drinks, free sauces from the regular and fast restaurants, and you can return ANYTHING without any questions asked within certain time period.

I still clearly remember the first time I visited Australia, I thought Australia is an advanced country as United States and customer services should be somewhat around the same level, but I was surprised pretty soon.

When I first got off the airplane in Sydney, I was so thirsty and ordered a larger drink from McDonald's in the airport. Boy, the larger drink there is equivalent to the small drink here. That's OK, we got refill, right? "What refill? What is that? There is no such thing here!"

As the days gone by, I was shocked that we had to pay for breads even though we already paid for an expensive meal. "No miss, breads are not included! You have to pay for them!" "What??!!!" So, you think a small packet of ketchup should be free for the meat pie you just bought, right? NOPE! "35 cents, please."

Well, speaking of returning stuff, United States is probably the only country in the world where you can return things without any hassle. Want to get a camera and don't know what to get? Don't worry, just buy several of them, try them all out and figure which you like the best, and return the rest. Customer services won't even ask why you return them, the only question they ask, "Does it still work?"

So, here is what I really intended to blog about.

My breast pump starts not working properly this Wednesday, there is very low suction. So I called the customer service Thursday morning.

"My pump doesn't work anymore. There is hardly any suction."

"OK, let's go through some trouble shootings."

...
...
...

"Nope, it's still not working. It doesn't feel normal."

"OK, we have to send you a new pump then. So, here is authorization code. Can you please fax me your receipt to prove it's still under the warranty?"

"Oh, what's my problem. My friend purchased the pump for me through her company discount program. And I don't have the receipt."

"Does your friend still have the receipt? Or a gift receipt? If not, a credit card statement will still work. I just need to have the proof for the date of purchase."

"Nope, I already asked her that last night, she doesn't have it. I don't know what to do. I had to borrow someone else's pump."

"Hmmm, well, we normally need a receipt. But as a courtesy, I will do it for you this time. What's your baby's birth date?"

"August, 30th, 2009. I can fax you a copy of my baby's birth certificate if you'd like."

"No, that's not necessary."


So, that was yesterday, and this morning I received my brand new pump already! I'm really truly speechless.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't return anything in Hong Kong. The best is to get store credit. And I bought the "silver cross" stroller from Toys 'R us, it was broken. Sorry, no return, and no maintenence because that British company has no service center in HK. Well, it's still usable, but every time it takes Daddy's skills to unfold it back to noraml after we fold it up before getting on the bus.

    ReplyDelete